There are many different disciplines in cycling. Each of the lists below contain the best bike for beginners in that respective discipline.
Best Mountain Bike For Beginners
There is no doubt in my mind, my skills as a cyclist improved on my Trek Marlin 6 more than they have on any other bike.
- Trek Marlin is an excellent bike because as beginner you probably don’t know which discipline you will enjoy the most. Within mountain biking alone you have XC, Trail, Enduro and Downhill. The Trek Marlin is a bike that allows you to dabble in each mountain biking discipline to see which is the best fit for your preferred riding.
Comparable bikes from other bike manufacturers are:
- Specialized Rockhopper
- Co-op DRT
- Cannondale Trail
- Giant Talon.
Best Electric Bike for Beginners
The best electric bike for beginners needs to be easy to ride. That means avoiding ebikes with too much torque, as well as bikes with too much high priced tech. These five electric bikes fit many different riding styles, which means there is an eBike for everyone.
- Aventure eBike by Aventon – The Aventure is considered an offroad bike due to its wide tires and front fork suspension. It also makes an excellent commuter bike. Aventure eBike has a top speed of 28 mph in pedal assist mode, and 20 mph while using the throttle.
- Pioneer Fat Tire by Dirwin Bikes – If you want a high quality electric bike, the Dirwin Pioneer needs to be at the top of your list. This bike is also the most powerful electric bike that is still beginner friendly. High quality Shimano components give you quiet and reliable shifting.
- RadMission by Rad Power Bikes – The RadMission is an older model, which makes it both affordable and reliable. The bike doesn’t fit into your typical off-road, commuter, road bike categories. It’s considered a hybrid fitness bike.
- KOA Rev by Retrospec – One of the most reliable brands in outdoor sports also makes a reliable and fun electric bike. The company sold its first bike in 2009, and they’ve exploded in popularity since that time. The KOA Rev is their fat tire electric bike. The front fork suspension and four inch tires provide a smooth ride, but the best feature is the powerful pedal assist system.
- RipCurrent by Juiced Bikes – The reputation Juiced Bikes has earned is making the fastest electric bikes on the market. However, their fastest bike, the Juiced HyperScorpion is classified as an electric moped. In other words, it can’t be on this list. The Juiced Bikes RipCurrent on the other hand, is the perfect electric bike for beginners. The bike looks incredibly fast, and the high quality 52V battery pairs well with the 750 watt rear hub motor.
Best Road Bike For Beginners
- Trek Domane – The Trek Domane AL 2 Disc is the entry-level model in the Domane lineup. It’s a great bike for beginners because it is comfortable, and comes with a reliable Shimano drivetrain.
- Specialized Diverge – From a pricing standpoint the Specialized Allez is an entry-level road bike, but for a small price increase beginner cyclists will be much better off on the Specialized Diverge E5. The Shimano Claris groupset on the Diverge gives you accurate shifting.
- Cannondale Topstone – While technically a gravel bike, the Topstone is so fast it makes an excellent road bike too.
- Fuji Sportif – The Fuji Sportif 2.3 costs less than $1,000, and it comes with the same groupset as higher priced bikes from top manufacturers. The big sacrifice with the Sportif 2.3 is the lack of disc brakes.
- Scott Metrix – The Scott Metrix 30 EQ bike comes with disc brakes and durable Schwalbe G ONE Allround tires. It is an endurance road bike that can also double as a serious commuter bike.
If you enjoyed the best bike for beginners, consider reading about the best place to take a biking vacation.